Bentonite Clay, also known as Aztec Indian Healing Clay, is an incredibly effective and multi use beauty treatment. This clay is mostly used as a face mask (or masque!) as an acne treatment. Since this is a clay, it helps to absorb and draw out impurities from the skin. The clay also has healing properties.
One of the most interesting aspects of using this as a clay mask is its “pulsating effect”. After a few minutes on your face, your face will begin to pulsate, as if your heartbeat is magnified and your face is beating. Its one of the oddest feelings, and definitely recommend giving it a try! Its been said that this clay produces an electrical charge once exposed to water. This electrical charge is what helps it draw out toxins and impurities from the skin. This clay has a strong negative electrical charge, which binds to the positive charged toxins and impurities.
This clay also has a high concentration of minerals such as silica, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and potassium. These minerals can be absorbed, and used by the skin.
Although I’ve only used this as a face mask and in my hair, it can be used for many different uses (I always love a multi-use product!)
Some other uses include:
· Digestive issues (Kaolin clay was actually the main ingredient in many stomach medicines such as maloz!)
· Help with allergies (if ingested)
· Provide the body with minerals such as silica, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and potassium.
· For external skin issues and to speed up healing
· Insect bites
· Topical skin reactions
· Chicken Pox
· Detox bath
How To use:
· On the skin: Mix the clay with water until the desired consistency is reached (start out with less water and build your way up!) Apply on the skin issue such as a burn, bug bite, or cut. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, although relief should come within 5 minutes
· Skin Mask: Mix Indian Healing Clay mask or bentonite clay with Apple citer Vinegar, and apply to the skin. Let sit on the skin for no longer than 30 minutes, then rince clean.
· In the Bath: Add ¼- ½ cup of clay into the water for a relaxing, detoxifying bath. This will help soothe and soften skin!
· As a Hair Product (For INCREDIBLE Volume): Add an incredibly small amount of clay into your hand, and mix a few drops of water. Rub through the roots of your hair, and let dry. Your hair will dry as is, and will be easily manageable and matte! This gives hair incredible all day volume, and also treats and softens the hair.
· For a tooth treatment: some say that this can be mixed in your toothpaste, or as a toothpaste alternative, although I’ve never tried this use.